Betting on the NHL has never been easier thanks to online sportsbooks and sports betting apps.
As one of the four major pro sports leagues, every online sportsbook posts a wide range of NHL game lines, futures odds and props. The best NHL betting sites will have odds for every style of bettor.
This page will help guide you through your first online NHL betting experience and keep you informed on the latest NHL betting odds.
Best NHL betting apps & sites in the US
The top NHL betting apps in the US include the biggest brands in sports betting. Each is legal and licensed in dozens of states and offers a vast range of NHL betting odds.
Today’s NHL odds: Moneylines, puck lines and totals
Below, you’ll find the latest NHL odds from online sportsbooks. If you see odds that catch your eye, click to sign up for a new sports betting account.
Stanley Cup odds
Below, you will find the current Stanley Cup odds from online sportsbooks. Click any odds to visit the appropriate sportsbook.
See even more NHL betting odds on our dedicated NHL betting lines page.
Getting started with online NHL betting
Beginning your online betting journey is simple. You can complete the registration process from your computer or your phone or tablet with these easy steps.
- Provide personal information: After clicking the sign-up or register button on the homepage of your chosen sportsbook, you’ll provide personal information such as your name, email address, birth date, and the last four digits of your Social Security number.
- Terms and conditions: Next, you’ll be asked to read through the sportsbook’s terms and conditions and accept them. We recommend that you read them carefully to understand your sportsbook’s rules on betting, but you can always find them on the sportsbook website at a later time if needed.
- Download the app: If you’d like to have access to your sportsbook no matter where you are, download the app to your mobile device. You can use this app to deposit or withdraw money, make bets, and more.
- Make your deposit: You can use your app or the online sportsbook page to make your initial deposit and fund your account.
- Place your wagers: You’ve created your account and added money to your bankroll, and now you’re ready to start making bets.
Best sportsbook apps for betting on NHL games
While everyone should shop around to find which sportsbooks best fit their needs, below, we’ll list our four favorite NHL betting apps.
The BetMGM betting app is user-friendly and easy to navigate. It has a large selection of betting markets, including moneylines, puck lines, totals, single-game parlays, period betting, and more. Existing customers can often take advantage of BetMGM odds boosts as well.
See more: BetMGM vs. FanDuel
One of the smoothest apps to use, DraftKings offers a nice selection of NHL betting markets to meet just about every possible need. Beyond the traditional moneylines, puck lines, and over/unders, the DraftKings app offers player and game props, futures bets, and more.
See more: DraftKings vs. Caesars
As one of the leading betting apps in the country, FanDuel offers competitive odds for just about every NHL market. It has an outstanding live betting option that has drawn in many bettors, as well as a broad selection of props, moneylines, totals, puck lines, futures, and more.
See more: FanDuel vs. DraftKings
Considered one of the industry’s best online sportsbooks, Caesars offers a huge selection of sports, including the NHL. Caesars fields a nice variety of promotions for existing customers as well as great customer service and a user-friendly experience.
See more: Caesars vs. BetMGM
Best bets for NHL games
There are three primary betting options when it comes to hockey.
- NHL moneyline odds: The simplest method of betting on the NHL, the moneyline bet requires you to pick which team you believe is going to win the game. Each side is given odds by the sportsbook. The negative number, such as -135, indicates the favorite to win the game, and the positive number, such as +220, indicates the underdog.
- NHL puck line odds: This is essentially the point spread for hockey. The puck line is almost always set at 1.5 goals, with the favorite indicated by a negative puck line and the underdog indicated by a positive puck line. The -1.5 favorite needs to win the game by at least two goals for bets on them to pay out, while the underdog at +1.5 needs to win the game outright or lose by a single goal.
- NHL totals odds: Also known as over/unders, totals don’t require you to worry about which team is going to win the game. Instead, you are presented with a prediction of the game’s combined goals (from both teams). You have to determine whether the teams will combine to score over that predicted total or be held under that total.
How to line shop for the best NHL odds
Line shopping is key to any sound betting strategy. Basically, you’ll compare odds at various sportsbooks, searching for the best lines for your chosen bet.
To do this, you can maintain accounts at multiple sportsbooks to compare the odds for your bets. Or you can use our odds feed, located above, to see the lines from multiple sportsbooks in one convenient location.
Line shopping doesn’t apply only to moneylines or puck lines. We recommend it for every bet type. Are you looking to back a specific player to win a season-long award? It’s quite possible the odds will vary across sportsbooks.
Don’t give away value by accepting worse odds on your bet just because you don’t want to shop around. By using line shopping as a part of your betting strategy, you maximize the potential return on your wagers.
There’s no reason to settle for the odds presented by a single sportsbook when it’s easy to sign up for new accounts, use the best odds available to your advantage, and claim any current NHL betting promos.
Best NHL props and futures
Looking to do some betting outside of the traditional moneyline, puck line and total trio? Props and futures might be exactly what you’re looking for on top betting apps.
Some of the most common NHL futures odds and prop bets include:
- Stanley Cup champion: Which team do you think will hoist the Stanley Cup? You can bet on this nearly year-round.
- Conference champions: As a bettor, your job is to pick the team you believe will win its respective conference come postseason play.
- Playoff series: You are trying to pick the winner of a specific playoff series between two teams.
- Season win totals: This is a regular-season over/under bet where you try to predict whether a team will have more or fewer wins than anticipated by the oddsmakers.
- NHL award winners: There are a lot of popular player awards in the NHL. Here are some of the marquee accolades.
- Hart Trophy: NHL Most Valuable Player
- Calder Trophy: Rookie of the Year
- Norris Trophy: Best defenseman
- Vezina Trophy: Best goalie
- Lady Byng Trophy: Most sportsmanlike player
NHL live betting
Before the rise of live betting, the majority of NHL bets were pre-game wagers. Now, thanks to the best sports betting apps, you can bet on NHL games while they are underway. This method of betting has quickly become one of the most popular for NHL bettors.
Most of the bets are very similar to pregame prop bets, though some include moneyline and puck line wagers. The odds are constantly shifting, all based on the action on the ice as it unfolds.
To participate in NHL live betting, a sportsbook app is required to keep up with the shifting odds and updated bet offerings.
Some live betting options include:
- Moneyline Regular Time
- 3 Way Handicap
- 3 Way Total Goals (over/under)
- Number of Goals
- Number of Team Goals
- Both Teams to Score
- Correct Score
- Overtime (Yes/No)
- Team to Win All 3 Periods
- Both Teams to Score At Least 2 Goals (or 3 Goals, etc.)
- Team to Win with a Shutout
- First/Last to Score
- When Will the Game End?
- Winning Margin
- Total Goals (2 Way)
- Correct Score
NHL betting rules at online sportsbooks
Every sportsbook has its own set of rules, which you can find in the terms and conditions on the sportsbook’s website. These rules govern how the sportsbook handles various situations.
That’s information you’ll want to know before placing your bets. Here are some rules you’ll find at the best online sports betting sites in the US.
- Official game data and statistics will dictate the settlement of all bets;
- Player performance markets: relevant player(s) must receive ice time for bets to have action and stats accrued during overtime count for settlement purposes; however, stats accrued during shootouts do not count for settlement purposes;
- Delayed games must be underway within 48 hours of the initial start time to have action;
- For period betting, the period must play out in full;
- For odd/even bets, zero counts as an even number;
- Overtime counts for bet settlement, but shootout stats do not;
- On multiple-choice wagers in which a non-listed outcome is the result, the bet will be a push.
These are only examples of your sportsbook’s potential rules. Before placing any NHL wagers, read over the rules for hockey betting to learn how the sportsbook will settle and/or void bets.
Source : ESPN.com