Trying to predict the next NBA MVP is a popular betting option at the best sports betting sites.
Because the award has no set criteria for selection, it can be notoriously difficult to predict which player will walk away with the MVP trophy at the end of the season.
Below, see the current NBA MVP odds posted at top online sportsbooks.
Latest NBA MVP odds
Check up-to-date odds for the NBA Most Valuable Player Award below. Click any odds to go to the corresponding sportsbook, open an account and claim your new-bettor bonus.
Who are the NBA MVP odds favorites?
Nikola Jokic: Falling short of a third consecutive MVP last season, Jokic steered Denver to its first NBA championship through an impressive playoff showing. During the summer, he emerged as a favored MVP candidate. As the Nuggets maintain their key lineup for another championship bid, Jokic consistently demonstrates his game prowess.
Luka Doncic: Doncic, among the preseason favorites for the past three years, has seen his prospects decline due to the Mavericks’ limited support in Dallas, as underscored by their recent playoff absence. Although no one doubts Doncic’s skills, questions about the Mavericks’ contention capabilities persist.
Giannis Antetokounmpo: Last season, Milwaukee’s surprising first-round departure against the Heat was notably influenced by Antetokounmpo’s absence for much of the series. The two-time MVP, arguably the league’s premier two-way player, is poised to rebound next season. At 28, in his prime, his resolve is stronger than ever following the Bucks’ premature playoff exit.
Joel Embiid: Reigning MVP Embiid remains a prominent figure among top contenders. Despite the Sixers’ playoff setbacks, he dominated the regular season, leading in scoring and showcasing superior rim defense. If he remains injury-free, Embiid is poised to vie for his MVP status again, hopefully with a strengthened supporting cast.
How to bet on the NBA MVP
Betting on the NBA MVP has never been easier thanks to the number of NBA betting sites and apps now available. Signing up for an account takes only a few minutes and is easy.
Here are the steps:
- Choose your sportsbook: Not all sportsbooks are created equal. In fact, some are easier to use than others, and some offer more incentives. We recommend you browse our site’s sportsbook reviews to find which ones best fit your needs.
- Visit the homepage: By following our link to the sportsbook of your choice, you’ll be taken directly to the homepage, where you can click the “sign up” or “register” button to start the process of creating your account.
- Provide information: Input personal information such as your name, your email address, the last four digits of your Social Security number, and more. Once you’ve finished filling out the form, you’ll be asked to accept the sportsbook’s terms and conditions, which we always suggest you read through as they’re loaded with pertinent information.
- Claim your welcome bonus: Now that you’ve set up your account and accepted the T&Cs, you can collect your welcome bonus as a new customer. If you need to input a code to get a bonus, you’ll find it right here. Make sure to read through the requirements for your bonus before accepting it, so you’re aware of any restrictions or other rules.
- Make a deposit: You can fund your account in a variety of ways when using legal sportsbooks. Many deposit options will work for withdrawals as well.
- Start betting: You’ve created your account and funded it. Now, you just need to start betting. You’ll find NBA MVP futures under the basketball tab in your chosen sportsbook. From there, click on the bet you want to make to add it to your bet slip, adjust how much you’re wagering, and finalize your bet.
Best sportsbooks for NBA MVP odds
Here are four of our favorite sportsbooks for placing MVP futures bets:
- DraftKings Sportsbook: The DraftKings app is one of the most prominent in the US. It offers bets for just about any market, including the NBA MVP award, and is known for its ease of use. Some of the DraftKings app’s top features include live betting options and a diverse prop betting selection.
- FanDuel Sportsbook: Touted as one of the most user-friendly and best sports betting apps in the industry, FanDuel has built a massive following. Beyond a packed futures menu that includes NBA MVP, FanDuel has a noteworthy selection of player props and a same-game parlay feature.
- BetMGM Sportsbook: While the BetMGM app may take a little getting used to, the sheer number of betting opportunities is fantastic. Popular features include the “edit my bet” and “easy parlay” options, which have helped make BetMGM a leading sportsbook in many states where sports betting is legal.
- Caesars Sportsbook: The Caesars betting app may be basic, but the simplicity is part of the draw for customers, along with an outstanding selection of competitive odds. Caesars also provides NBA betting promos and more sports betting bonuses & promotions for existing customers.
When should you bet on NBA MVP futures?
You can bet on the regular-season NBA MVP award well before the season starts. But when is the best time? That comes down to your tolerance for risk versus reward.
The reason the odds are so favorable when the lines for NBA Most Valuable Player are first released is because the oddsmakers, like you, have very little information to work with.
They are basing their odds on past performance and expected future accomplishments, as well as the quality of the team around the top candidates for the award. Thus, the odds are quite favorable.
While waiting for more information, such as a player’s performance during the regular season, the lines shift and become less favorable. That’s because the oddsmakers are gathering information and applying new data and analytics to their lines to make them as accurate as possible.
As a bettor, you have to decide which approach works best for your betting strategy. Do you want to wager when the lines are released with little information at your disposal but the best potential return on your bet, or do you want to wait until you have more solid information from which to craft your MVP speculation?
Who decides the NBA MVP winner?
The NBA MVP is selected annually by a panel of sportswriters and broadcasters who vote for the players they believe are the best in the league.
This format, which started in 1980, sees each member of the panel vote for their top three players. Every first-place vote is worth five points, every second-place is worth three, and third-place is worth a single point.
It’s rare that one player receives all of the first-place votes. That last happened in the 2015-16 season when Steph Curry of the Golden State Warriors earned all possible first-place points.
Because there is no set criteria for awarding the regular-season NBA MVP, it’s notoriously difficult to predict who will get the nod. There are often late-season shifts among the favorites, and there are even seasons in which the winner is considered an upset and more prominent players are snubbed.
A recent history of NBA MVP winners
Here is a list of the NBA MVPs since 2010.
|2022-23||Joel Embiid||Philadelphia 76ers|
|2021-22||Nikola Jokić||Denver Nuggets|
|2020-21||Nikola Jokić||Denver Nuggets|
|2019-20||Giannis Antetokounmpo||Milwaukee Bucks|
|2018-19||Giannis Antetokounmpo||Milwaukee Bucks|
|2017-18||James Harden||Houston Rockets|
|2016-17||Russell Westbrook||Oklahoma City Thunder|
|2015-16||Steph Curry||Golden State Warriors|
|2014-15||Steph Curry||Golden State Warriors|
|2013-14||Kevin Durant||Oklahoma City Thunder|
|2012-13||LeBron James||Miami Heat|
|2011-12||LeBron James||Miami Heat|
|2010-11||Derrick Rose||Chicago Bulls|
What other NBA futures can I bet on?
The NBA MVP is far from the only NBA futures bet you can make. Here are some other popular NBA futures odds.
The NBA is the second-most popular sport in the US for betting, behind only the NFL. In turn, the bet types run deep.
In addition to pregame NBA betting lines such as moneylines, point spreads, and totals, you can bet on NBA player and team props, parlays, teasers, and more with legal and regulated online sportsbooks.
Which player has the most MVP awards?
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has the most-ever NBA MVP awards with six. He won three with the Milwaukee Bucks and three with the Los Angeles Lakers. Behind him, with five each, are Bill Russell (Boston Celtics) and Michael Jordan (Chicago Bulls).
What is an NBA futures bet?
Futures bets in any sport are wagers on an event that’s usually weeks or months away. These are often settled at the end of a season or at the end of a tournament.
Where can I bet on the NBA MVP?
Every sports betting site will have NBA futures markets that include the NBA Most Valuable Player award along with Rookie of the Year odds, regular-season win total over/unders, and more.
If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation
Source : ESPN.com